Washington University of St. Louis WU in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week. Postion hours are generally Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Department Name/Job Location
This postion is in the WU-Metabolism Diabetes Center. This postion is in the Medical School Campus.
Serves as a liaison between consumers and WUSM; assists consumers in a timely, efficient and courteous manner regarding appointment information, systems, procedures, and resources.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Check in patient; verify no changes or correct the changes or missing information related to patient demographics, PCP, referring physician or health insurance.
- Check POS Hold Bills, review notes B and C, respond to hold bill directions, scan insurance cards on all patients.
- Print and prepare fee tickets. Review each ticket for insurance information, referral/pre-certification, copay amount, referring physician name. Print registration sheets and highlight blank fields.
- Obtain completed patient history questionnaire(s) for the IOV, DNW, and PNW visit types.
- Collect insurance co-payments and payments on existing accounts, generate and give a receipt to the patient using electronic POS receipts. Settle credit card machine at the end of the day.
- Schedule follow up appointments in the GE/IDX system per scheduling protocol. Include referral or authorization numbers in appropriate fields, watch for potential expiration date of applicable referrals. Look ahead for existing appointments in order to prevent scheduling duplicates.
- Track return of fee tickets as patients are seen. As much as possible, determine if a ticket is missing, reprint it and give to physician again before end of day.
- Scrub, hash and batch fee tickets per protocols.
- Greet, assist and direct visitors in the department.
- Acts as back-up scheduler / taking incoming calls from main line for Diabetes Center.
- Follows Diabetes Center scheduling protocols.
- Maintains required skills/competencies and participates in inservices, staff programs, continuing education and cross training programs according to established standards.
- Participates in cross training programs according to established standards.
- Complies with OSHA, State and Federal regulatory sources/standards.
- Participates in quality improvement activities, to ensure appropriate clinical outcomes.
- Assists with training of co-workers.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
High school diploma with 3 years of experience in billing systems and third-party claims and/or experience in a medical office setting or related customer service/office experience.
- 6-12 months data entry/computer experience with an automated scheduling system
- Typing speed of 25-30 words per minute and familiarity with a keyboard
- Two years experience in a medical office environment, or related field; knowledge of medical terminology
- Telephone experience with demonstrated exceptional phone etiquette
- Experienced in a managed care setting; has completed appointment manager/scheduler training including P/FSC for the GE/IDX System
- Familiar with WUSM services and programs
The hiring range for this position is $15.54 - $19.05 per hour.
Offers made for this position are contingent upon the successful completion of all required pre-employment screens, including a criminal background check, hair sample drug screen, and verification of required professional licenses, registrations, or certifications.
Retirement Savings Plan
22 vacation days
8 Paid Holidays
Tuition benefits for employee, spouse and dependent children
Free Metro Link/ Bus pass
Free Life Insurance
Health, Dental, Vision
Health Savings Accounts (HSA)
Long Term Disability Insurance
Flex Spending Plan
Med School HR website (medschoolhr.wustl.edu)
Applicant Special Instructions
Fast paced medical office work environment with flexible work schedule, varied levels of work assignment and clerical office duties. High stress caused by work deadlines, periodic crisis management and patient/family interaction.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Patient Billing/Services Representative II - WU-Metabolism Diabetes Center - 41245
Job ID: 41245
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time