Washington University of St. Louis Staff Scientist - Infectious Diseases - 49755 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week. Position hours are generally Monday to Friday.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Iinternal Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
The candidate will be part of an established and successful research group focused on integrating ‘multi-omics’ approaches aimed at understanding infectious diseases at a systems biology level. The position requires working collaboratively with a team of experimental and computational biologists focused on integrating multidimensional biological data to specifically better understand pathogen biology, ecology, host-pathogen interaction, epidemiology, transmission, etc.
The candidate will work on NIH-funded projects that have a main goal to identify genetic markers and mechanisms of resistance of anthelmintic resistance that will facilitate production of tools to tackle parasites emergence and spread. This will be achieved by studying the genomes and transcriptomes of susceptible and resistant parasites from different endemic areas/countries and use functional genomics tools to study mechanisms of resistance. The candidate will be responsible for leading and carrying out these innovative projects that involve population and functional genomics studies of helminth parasites in Africa and South America. The candidate will have opportunities to travel and to present at national and international conferences.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Following instructions and discussions with principal investigator, designs research protocols, including developing procedures for the collection, verification and management of data.
- Assists with grant preparation and reporting.
- Performs complex statistical analysis of data collected and writes interpretative reports. Verifies the correctness of the data submitted and makes recommendations based on these analyses.
- Documents research topics and prepares and submits papers based on research work to publications and committees for publication or presentation to peers.
- Solves practical problems relating to difficulties with equipment or test subjects. Suggests technical or procedural improvements in testing methods.
- Conducts literature searches related to research project.
Master’s degree with four years of experience in research lab operations or an equivalent combination of education and experience equaling nine years.
- Graduate degree (Ph.D.) in biology, computational biology or a related field.
- Solid background in molecular biology/genetics techniques, computational biology and biostatistics.
- Ability to be outstanding in drive, eagerness and scientific imagination, as well as organized and self-motivated.
- Experience in molecular biology (DNA, RNA isolation, generation of plasmid construct).
- Experience in genetics (gene disruption, gene replacement, transgenesis/genetic screens, Crispr/cas).
- Experience in microbiology (plasmid/bacterial transfections, cell culture).
- Experience in genomics and bioinformatics.
- Experience in computational, statistical analysis and phylogenomics are particularly encouraged.
The hiring range for this position is $46,779 - $63,170 annually.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Staff Scientist - Infectious Diseases - 49755
Job ID: 49755
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time