Washington University of St. Louis Senior Scientist - Psychiatry - 49228 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Psychiatry. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
The Harari Lab at the Neurogenetics and Informatics (NGI) Center in the Department of Psychiatry at Washington University in St. Louis is looking for a Senior Scientist. We analyze high-throughput multi-omic data to study neurodegeneration and diseases of the central nervous system with emphasis on Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and other dementias. Our ultimate goal of the NGI is to understand the biology of these diseases, to define novel biomarkers, and to identify novel therapeutical targets. Washington University School of Medicine is renowned for its research cohorts of neurodegenerative disorders, which include clinical, neuroimaging, and fluid biomarker phenotypes.
We are currently employing deep molecular profiling of brain, using single-nuclei RNA-seq to characterize a large collection of samples. We are seeking for entrepreneurial, motivated researcher with strong analytical skills to join our effort and generate novel insights of neurodegeneration with this unique dataset, while working in a highly dynamic multidisciplinary and collaborative environment.
This position is responsible for collaborating with the principal investigator (PI) on the design, conduct and reporting of research projects.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaborates with the PI on the design, conduct and reporting of research projects.
- Assists with grant preparation and reporting.
- Prepares and submits papers on research.
- Develops hypotheses to be tested and ways of testing it.
- Develops and maintains analytical pipelines for single-nuclei RNA-seq.
- Analyzes data, including QC, as well as performs the analyses.
- Maintains an updated repository of data publicly available.
- Manages staff scientists.
- Coordinates research projects with other institutions and investigators.
- Conducts literature searches related to research projects.
Ph.D., M.D. or an equivalent terminal degree and at least three years of postdoctoral experience.
- Ph.D. in genomics, genetics, bioinformatics, computer science, data science, statistical genomics or a related discipline involving the interrogation of ‘omics’ datasets.
- Analytical reasoning and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of standard laboratory policies, procedures and equipment.
- Ability to communicate in oral and written form with all levels of personnel and technical publications.
- Ability to work well independently or as a team member.
The hiring range for this position is $53,830 - $72,675 annually.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Applicant Special Instructions
This position works in a laboratory environment with potential exposure to biological and chemical hazards. The individual must be physically able to wear protective equipment and to provide standard care to research animals.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Senior Scientist - Psychiatry - 49228
Job ID: 49228
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time