Washington University of St. Louis Research Technician II - Infectious Diseases - 49267 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases located at the Medical School Campus.
This position assists with the technical aspects of studies and experiments, including documentation and preparation of materials.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists with research studies, experiments and assays, including collection of data, preparation of solutions and set-up and maintenance of equipment.
- Under the direction of the principal investigator and chief technologist, performs routine and complex assays according to laboratory Standard Operating Procedures. Performs a variety of protocols for research purposes related to diagnostic microbiology, including but not limited to: specimen aliquot procedures, culture of clinical specimens, isolation of microorganisms, microorganism identification, antimicrobial susceptibility testing, molecular methods, other types of microbial characterization.
- Participates in clinical trials/device trials, including oversight of all documentation and adherence to protocols as required by the sponsor for the study device. This includes participating in the laboratory bench work, maintaining records, shipping, and preparing reports as required.
- Performs data entry and maintains data files on research.
- Assures compliance with established safety procedures and maintains required documentation on laboratory and specimen conditions.
- Ensures lab conditions and equipment are properly cleaned and maintained in accordance with established procedures.
- Assists with general lab maintenance, cleaning, and daily operations of the laboratory, including inventory and ordering of supplies.
Bachelor’s degree and up to one year of experience in a laboratory setting or an equivalent combination of education and experience equaling four years.
- Bachelor's degree in a health/science discipline.
- Experience culturing bacteria and/or DNA extraction.
- Work experience in a research setting.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and communicate with laboratory staff and investigators.
- Ability to maintain complete and organized records/reports.
- Working knowledge of computer software and general lab equipment.
The hiring range for this position is $14.07 - $18.99 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Applicant Special Instructions
This position works in a laboratory environment with potential exposure to biological and chemical hazards. The individual must be physically able to wear protective equipment and to provide standard care to research animals.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Research Technician II - Infectious Diseases - 49267
Job ID: 49267
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time