Washington University of St. Louis Research Technician II - Biochemistry & Molecular Biophysics - 48677 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Position hours are generally normal business hours, but may vary due to the timing of experiments and other research activity deadlines. Also, maintenance of cell lines requires coming into the lab on some weekends.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biophysics. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
The Greenberg Lab in the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics is studying mutations that cause familial cardiomyopathies, genetic heart diseases that can lead to heart failure and sudden death. The lab uses an array of biochemical, biophysical, cell biological, and engineering techniques to decipher how these mutations affect the mechanobiology of heart contraction across scales from the level of single molecules to the level of engineered tissues. For more information, please see: https://glab.biochem.wustl.edu/.
The lab is seeking a research technician to assist with technical aspects of studies and experiments, including documentation and preparation of materials.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists with research studies, experiments and assays, including collection of data, preparation of solutions, and set-up and maintenance of equipment.
- Performs data entry and maintain data files on research.
- Maintains cell cultures.
- Purifies proteins for biochemical experiments.
- Complies with established safety procedures and maintain required documentation on laboratory and specimen conditions.
- Ensures lab conditions and equipment are properly maintained in accordance with established procedures.
- Assists with general lab maintenance and cleaning.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree and up to one year of experience in a laboratory setting or an equivalent combination of education and experience equaling four years.
- Experience with either cell culture or protein biochemistry.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and communicate with laboratory staff and investigators.
- Ability to maintain complete and organized records/reports.
- Working knowledge of computer software (including Word and Excel) and general lab equipment.
The hiring range for this position is $14.07 - $18.99 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Applicant Special Instructions
This position works in a laboratory environment with potential exposure to biological and chemical hazards. The individual must be physically able to wear protective equipment.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Research Technician II - Biochemistry & Molecular Biophysics - 48677
Job ID: 48677
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time