Washington University of St. Louis Research Laboratory Supervisor - Gastroenterology - 42615 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
We use genetically engineered mouse models (GEMMs) to study stem cell biology and tumorigenesis. Such GEMMs include traditional Cre-Lox conditional/tissue-specific mutagenesis approaches and next generation genome editing tools. In addition to mouse models, we employ ex vivo organoid cultures to probe mechanisms of growth, proliferation, stem cell renewal, the micro-environment, and lineage allocation of intestinal epithelial cells. Performs and oversees research projects or laboratory processes. Oversees other personnel and equipment.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs laboratory administrative functions such as scheduling, purchasing and establishing record keeping systems.
- Supervises laboratory staff assigned, assuring appropriate study procedures, review of staff work, explaining policies and procedures and screening of new employees.
- Develops procedure manuals and operational/technical guidelines for lab studies.
- Participates in lab study processes, maintaining records and preparing reports as required.
- Researches and recommends new methods and procedures to maintain current capabilities, quality and standards.
- Maintains mouse colony and performs small animal procedures.
- Prepares tissue culture reagents, aliquots, and probe tests, etc.
- Ensures laboratory is complying with established safety procedures and maintains required documentation on laboratory and laboratory specimens/chemicals/biologics.
- Ensures lab conditions and equipment are properly cleaned and maintained in accordance with established procedures.
- Assists with research studies, experiments and assays including basic molecular biology (DNA/RNA extraction, PCR, cloning, recombinant DNA technology), sterile cell culture, and collection of data.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree with 3 or more years of lab experience including supervisory responsibility or equivalent combination of education and experience equaling 7 years.
- Good documentation and organized record-keeping is essential.
- One-year minimum aggregate experience in wet laboratory setting is preferred.
- Experience handling mice or other rodents.
- Prior experience performing cell culture and basic molecular and/or cell biology.
- Enthusiasm and interest in scientific research is appreciated.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of standard laboratory policies, procedures and equipment.
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills.
The hiring range for this position is $46,779 - $63,170 annually.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please visit our website at http://hr.wustl.edu to view a summary of benefits.
Applicant Special Instructions
Works in laboratory environment with potential exposure to biological, chemical and radioactive hazards. Must be physically able to wear protective equipment. Must be able to provide standard care to research animals.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Research Laboratory Supervisor - Gastroenterology - 42615
Job ID: 42615
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time