Washington University of St. Louis Registered Medical Assistant III (Christian Northwest) - Medical Oncology - 48842 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Oncology. The position is located at Christian Hospital Northwest.
Position leads the work of Medical Assistants in the clinical operation of a patient care setting; this position leads the work of Medical Assistants I and II, and/or acts as the primary clinic resource in a large multi-physician clinical practice; functions as a Medical Assistant in the department, prepares and maintains exam rooms, prepares charts, obtains reports and records; directs patient flow and ensures the overall smooth running of the clinical office.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Patient Care Duties
- Interacts directly with patients in clinic setting and completes tasks which may include obtaining vital signs, completion of EKGs, phlebotomy, and verification of medications
- Prepares for office hours by doing tasks such as obtaining charts, scheduling tests, and preparing exam rooms
- Assists with examinations, procedures, and lab tests
- May assist with renewal and authorization of non-narcotic medications per standing orders and department guidelines
- May administer medications under the order of physicians or nurse practitioner (this includes vaccines and IM and subcutaneous injections)
- Communication and Documentation
- May schedule and assign work to other Medical Assistants to ensure appropriate staffing; assists in orientating and training new Medical Assistants
- Directs patient flow, assists with special procedures/treatments, and completes requisitions
- Routes phone messages, patient questions, and telephone communications to appropriate personnel
- Assists with care coordination by doing tasks outlined under the department guidelines such as calling patients with test results, scheduling appointments, assisting physician with return calls; scheduling surgeries, diagnostic procedures, and admissions; and monitoring new and return patient contacts, including scheduling of appointments and follow-up appointments
- Completes necessary paperwork and documentation in a timely manner
- Answers basic questions from patient/family regarding treatments, diagnosis, and procedures
- If order entry in the Electronic Medical Record is part of the job function, completes requisitions/orders per Washington University guidelines
- Equipment and Supplies
- Monitors supply inventory, ensuring adequate supplies, equipment, or garments are available and that they comply with regulations
- Cleans and stocks exam rooms and sterilizes instruments
- Other Functions
- Maintains required HIPAA compliance, skills/competencies and participates in in-services, staff programs, continuing education, and cross-training programs according to established standards and Washington University policies
- Complies with OSHA, state and federal regulatory sources/standards
- Participates in quality improvement activities to ensure appropriate clinical outcomes
- Performs other duties as assigned
High school diploma or equivalent high school certification; a Registered or Certified Medical Assistant with a minimum of 3 years of related work experience (examples of related fields include military medic, emergency medical technicians, Nurse’s Aide, physical therapy and nurse technicians, and certified athletic trainers); substitutions include:
- Medical Assistant certification/registration eligible with successful completion of certification exam within 6 months of hire date or within a shorter time frame if noted by hiring manager
- Graduate of an accredited nursing program (such as RN/LPN), or comparable allied health training program with a minimum of 1 year of relevant experience
REQUIRED LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION/REGISTRATION: Must be able to show proof of Medical Assistant registration/certification or complete Medical Assistant registration/certification within 6 months of hire date or within a shorter time frame if noted by hiring manager; Basic Life Support certification (Online BLS certifications, those without a skills assessment component, are not sufficient to meet the BLS requirements).
- One year or more of supervisory or team leader experience.
- Three years or more of Medical Assistant experience.
- Graduate of an Accredited Medical Assistant program is highly preferred.
- Electronic Medical Record experience.
The hiring range for this position is $15.85 - $19.43 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Registered Medical Assistant III (Christian Northwest) - Medical Oncology - 48842
Job ID: 48842
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time