Washington University of St. Louis Registered Medical Assistant II - Pediatrics Ambulatory Care - 49651 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Pediatrics Ambulatory Care. The position is located at St. Louis Children's Hospital. This position will travel to other locations.
Position functions as a Medical Assistant in the department, prepares and maintains exam rooms, collects patient forms and medical records, maintains EMR, assists with patient flow and ensures the overall smooth running of the clinical office. The Medical Assistant II has experience and is able to anticipate and meet the needs of patients, providers, and team members.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Patient Care Duties
- Interacts directly with patients in the clinical office and completes clinical tasks which may include obtaining vital signs, completion of EKGs, phlebotomy, and performance of CLIA waived tests, for example, HgbA1C testing, pregnancy tests, etc.). Documents appropriately in EMR.
- Prepares for office hours by ensuring each exam room is clean and adequately stocked.
- Assists with examinations, procedures and lab tests.
- May administer medications under the order of physician or nurse practitioner (this includes vaccines and IM and subcutaneous injections).
- May assist with renewal of standing orders (lab, radiology) in EMR per department guidelines.
- Communication and Documentation
- Directs patient flow and documents room assignment in EMR.
- Routes phone messages, patient questions, and telephone communications to appropriate personnel.
- Assists with care coordination by doing tasks outlined under the department guidelines such as scheduling diagnostic procedures, reviewing portal status, monitoring patient waiting time in room with follow-up with patient if greater than 30 minutes.
- Completes necessary paperwork and documentation in a timely manner.
- Distributes and collects patient paperwork and medical records for providers.
- Answers basic questions from patient/family regarding treatments, diagnosis and procedures.
- Orders lab and radiology tests completely and accurately via EMR.
- Documents point-of-care testing results and medication administration per department guidelines.
- Equipment and Supplies
- Monitors supply inventory, ensuring adequate supplies, equipment, or garments are available and that they comply with regulations.
- Cleans and stocks exam rooms, provider areas, and other clinical space. Sterilizes equipment as required.
- Performs quality controls for all point-of-care testing in compliance with CLIA, WUSM, and EH&S recommendations and guidelines.
- Monitors and records temperatures for all refrigerators located in clinical areas, in compliance with VFC and departmental guidelines.
- *Other Functions *
- Maintains required HIPAA compliance, skills/competencies and participates in in-services, staff programs, continuing education, and cross training programs according to established standards and Washington University policies.
- Maintains current Medical Assistant Licensure/Certification/Registration.
- Complies with OSHA, state and federal regulatory sources/standards.
- Participates in quality improvement activities to ensure appropriate clinical outcomes.
- Uses time efficiently to prepare for clinic and ensure efficient patient/provider flow.
- Serves as preceptor for new staff.
High school diploma or equivalent high school certification; a Registered or Certified Medical Assistant with a minimum of 6 months of related work experience (examples of related fields include military medic, emergency medical technicians, Nurse’s Aide, physical therapy and nurse technicians, and certified athletic trainers); substitutions include:
- Medical Assistant certification/registration eligible with successful completion of certification exam within 6 months of hire date or within a shorter time frame if noted by hiring manager
- Graduate of an accredited nursing program (such as RN/LPN), or comparable allied health training program with a minimum of 1 year of relevant experience
REQUIRED LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION/REGISTRATION: Must be able to show proof of Medical Assistant registration/certification or complete Medical Assistant registration/certification within 6 months of hire date or within a shorter time frame if noted by hiring manager; Basic Life Support certification (Online BLS certifications, those without a skills assessment component, are not sufficient to meet the BLS requirements).
- Graduate of an Accredited Medical Assistant program is highly preferred.
- Experience in a Pediatric office or outpatient setting.
- Interactive communication skills with ability to work with physicians, patients, families, and support staff; must have strong interpersonal, organizational, and telephone skills, working knowledge of anatomy and physiology, fundamentals of medical terminology, and experience/knowledge working with electronic medical records.
The hiring range for this position is $14.44 - $17.70 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Registered Medical Assistant II - Pediatrics Ambulatory Care - 49651
Job ID: 49651
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time