Washington University of St. Louis Registered Medical Assistant II - Orthopaedic Surgery - 42712 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week. Position hours will require afternoon/evening shift with 1 Saturday per month. Also requiring a willingness to travel to other locations.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery. The position is located in Chesterfield Missouri.
Patient Care Duties:
- Interacts directly with patients in clinic setting and completes clinical tasks which may include obtaining vital signs, and verification of medications
- Prepares for office hours by doing tasks such as obtaining charts, scheduling tests, and preparing exam rooms
- Assists with examinations, procedures, and tests
- May assist with renewal and authorization of non-narcotic medications per standing orders and department guidelines
- May administer medications under the order of physicians or nurse practitioner (this includes vaccines and IM and subcutaneous injections)
Communication and Documentation:
- Directs patient flow, assists with special procedures/treatments, and completes requisitions
- Routes phone messages, patient questions, and telephone communications to appropriate personnel
- Assists with care coordination by doing tasks outlined under the department guidelines such as calling patients with test results, scheduling appointments, assisting with return calls; scheduling surgeries, diagnostic procedures, and admissions; and monitoring new and return patient contacts, including scheduling of appointments and follow-up appointments
- Completes necessary paperwork and documentation
- Documents accurate information in the patient record in a timely manner
- Answers basic questions from patient/family regarding treatments, diagnosis, and procedures
Equipment and Supplies:
- Monitors supply inventory, ensuring adequate supplies, equipment, or garments are available and that they comply with regulations
- Cleans and stocks exam rooms and sterilizes instruments
- Maintains required HIPAA compliance, skills/competencies and participates in in-services, staff programs, continuing education, and cross-training programs according to established standards and Washington University policies
- Complies with OSHA, state and federal regulatory sources/standards
- Participates in quality improvement activities to ensure appropriate clinical outcomes
- Performs other duties as assigned
- High school diploma or GED, plus a minimum of 1 year of related work experience (examples of related medical fields include military medic, emergency medical technicians, Nurse’s Aide, physical therapy and nurse technicians, and certified athletic trainers).
- Substitution for minimum requirement is graduation from an accredited nursing program at the level of LPN/RN or comparable allied health training.
- Basic Life Support certification (Online BLS certifications, those without a skills assessment component are not sufficient to meet the BLS requirements).
- Graduate of a medical assistant program preferred. Orthopaedic experience preferred.
- Interactive communication skills with ability to work with physicians, patients, families, significant others, and support staff.
- Must have strong interpersonal, organizational, and telephone skills, working knowledge of anatomy and physiology, fundamentals of medical terminology, and experience/knowledge working with electronic medical records.
The hiring range for this position is $14.17 - $17.35 per hour.
Offers made for this position are contingent upon the successful completion of all required pre-employment screens, including a criminal background check, hair sample drug screen, and verification of required professional licenses, registrations, or certifications.
Whether suffering from a sports injury, hip pain, back pain or any musculoskeletal condition, Washington University Orthopedics provides a full complement of comprehensive orthopedic services to meet the needs of every patient. Combining the best in both inpatient treatment and outpatient care and rehabilitation, the practice is nationally recognized for outstanding orthopedic care, innovative research and advanced professional training. It is ranked among the best orthopedic practices and holds the distinction of being listed on the Honor Roll by U.S. News & World Report. The practice is considered an innovator in both conservative orthopedic care and minimally invasive microsurgical techniques. Affiliated with Barnes-Jewish Hospital and St. Louis Children’s Hospital, Washington University Orthopedics has the unique ability to offer inpatient treatment for the most challenging cases within a top-tier academic medical center as well as outpatient surgery and care across the St. Louis region in Chesterfield, Town & Country, South County and the Central West End. The practice offers expertise in ten orthopedic subspecialties – foot and ankle, hand and wrist, hip and knee, cancer, pediatric and adolescent orthopedics, physical medicine and rehabilitation (physiatry), shoulder and elbow, spine (including scoliosis), sports medicine and fracture care/trauma. The orthopedic specialists are dedicated to providing safe, compassionate and family-centered care for both simple and complex orthopedic conditions. Because of the skill and experience of the doctors and staff, it is the official medical provider for the St. Louis Blues hockey team, Washington University varsity athletics and several local school athletic teams. Washington University Orthopedics brings world-class care to patients from all ages and walks of life in St. Louis and the surrounding communities.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Registered Medical Assistant II - Orthopaedic Surgery - 42712
Job ID: 42712
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time