Washington University of St. Louis Registered Medical Assistant II - Heart & Vascular Center - 49892 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Internal Medicine - Heart and Vascular Center located on the Medical School Campus.
Position functions as a Medical Assistant in the department, prepares and maintains exam rooms, prepares charts, obtains reports and records; assists with patient flow and ensures the overall smooth running of the clinical office.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Functions as assistant for physician in preparation for office hours, work up charts, obtain X-rays, prepare rooms, and monitors physicians schedule and recommend changes.
- Directs patient flow, assists with special procedures, instructs patients teaching pre and post operative and completes requisitions.
- Routes phone messages, patient questions, and telephone communications with other departments and coordinates meetings with others for assigned physicians.
- Acts as a general liaison between doctor and patient calling patients with test results, answering questions, scheduling appointments and assisting physician with return calls.
- Schedules surgeries and diagnostic procedures, coordinating schedules with physicians, patient and O.R. Coordinates physical therapy and any other services, completing necessary paperwork.
- Coordinates meetings and lectures for assigned physician.
- Assists physicians at various facilities, pre-certifies diagnostic procedures, surgeries and physical therapies, obtaining necessary referral forms.
High school diploma or equivalent high school certification; a Registered or Certified Medical Assistant with a minimum of 6 months of related work experience (examples of related fields include military medic, emergency medical technicians, Nurse’s Aide, physical therapy and nurse technicians, and certified athletic trainers); substitutions include:
- Medical Assistant certification/registration eligible with successful completion of certification exam within 6 months of hire date or within a shorter time frame if noted by hiring manager
- Graduate of an accredited nursing program (such as RN/LPN), or comparable allied health training program with a minimum of 1 year of relevant experience
REQUIRED LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION/REGISTRATION: Must be able to show proof of Medical Assistant registration/certification or complete Medical Assistant registration/certification within 6 months of hire date or within a shorter time frame if noted by hiring manager; Basic Life Support certification (Online BLS certifications, those without a skills assessment component, are not sufficient to meet the BLS requirements).
- Graduate of medical assistant school.
- CPR certification.
- Interactive communication skills with ability to work with physicians, patients, families, significant others, and support staff.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and telephone skills, working knowledge of anatomy and physiology, fundamentals of medical terminology, and experience/knowledge working with electronic medical records.
The hiring range for this position is $14.44 - $17.70 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
For over a century, Washington University's Department of Medicine has maintained a proud tradition of excellence. Its three-part mission of Research, Teaching, and Patient Care has formed an important core which ultimately brings the latest in medical technology and doctors of the highest standard to the patients in our hospitals and clinics. The Department of Medicine has attracted doctors from all over the world.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Registered Medical Assistant II - Heart & Vascular Center - 49892
Job ID: 49892
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time