Washington University of St. Louis Registered Medical Assistant I - Neurosurgery - 50109 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Neurosurgery. The position is located at the the Center for Advanced Medicine. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
Position works as a Medical Assistant in the clinical operation of a patient care setting. Performs duties related to check out which includes scheduling pre-operative testing, procedures, appointments, and pre-certifications. Also works as a backup to front desk checking patients in, obtaining consents, reviewing paperwork to be completed with patients and collection copays.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Check out Process
- Scheduling follow-up appointments, testing and imaging.
- Coordination of appointments with other WU departments.
- Enters orders for upcoming testing/referrals.
- Obtain authorization for imaging/testing scheduled urgently.
- Check in Process
- Obtain consents.
Review paperwork to be completed with patients answering any questions they might have.
Verify insurance and update demographic information as indicated.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent high school certification; Medical Assistant certification/registration-eligible graduate or be scheduled to graduate from an accredited medical assistant program; substitutions include graduate of an accredited nursing program (such as RN/LPN).
- REQUIRED LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION/REGISTRATION: Must be able to show proof of Medical Assistant registration/certification or complete Medical Assistant registration/certification within 6 months of hire date or within a shorter time frame if noted by hiring manager; Basic Life Support certification (Online BLS certifications, those without a skills assessment component, are not sufficient to meet the BLS requirements).
- In addition to being registration/certification eligible, 1 year of related work experience or relevant training in medical field preferred (examples of related medical fields include military medic, emergency medical technicians, Nurse’s Aide, physical therapy and nurse technicians, and certified athletic trainers).
- Interactive communication skills with ability to work with physicians, patients, families, significant others, and support staff; must have strong interpersonal, organizational, and telephone skills, working knowledge of anatomy and physiology, fundamentals of medical terminology, and experience/knowledge working with electronic medical records.
The hiring range for this position is $13.80 - $15.99 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
The Department of Neurological Surgery provides comprehensive patient care services, from diagnosis through treatment. In existence since 1919, the Department offers its services at Barnes-Jewish Hospital and St. Louis Children's Hospital, both nationally recognized for excellence. Both hospitals are the most technologically advanced in the region, offering patients the latest in diagnosis and treatment.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Registered Medical Assistant I - Neurosurgery - 50109
Job ID: 50109
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time