Washington University of St. Louis Physician Assistant - Emergency Medicine - 48896 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Emergency Medicine. The position is located at the following locations: Barnes Jewish Hospital, Barnes West County Hospital, and Missouri Baptist Medical Center - Emergency Room.
The Physician Assistant provides healthcare services typically performed by a physician, in collaboration with a permanently licensed physician. The Physician Assistant performs history and physical exams, provides consultations, works with consultants, orders diagnostic studies, incorporates results of diagnostic tests in rendering diagnoses and treatment plans, prescribes medication, counsels patients and family members. The Physician Assistant manages the healthcare and treatment of patients who are acutely ill, chronically ill and critically ill and who are within the age group of those patients eligible to be treated by the collaborating physician, including those patients in the intensive Emergency Department care setting in conformance with the unit policies. The Physician Assistant will assess, stabilize and determine disposition of patients with emergent conditions consistent with medical staff policy regarding emergency and consultative call services.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs assessments/examinations.
- Assesses and counsels patients and obtains initial medical and physical histories.
- Reviews patient medical record and assist/collaborate with supervising physician as necessary for ongoing treatment and discharge plan.
- Refers to appropriate consultants as necessary in a timely manner.
- Bills for professional services as permitted by the collaborative practice agreement.
- Interprets diagnostic test results for deviations from normal.
- Prescribes therapy or administers medications in accordance with the supervising practice agreement.
- Administers or orders diagnostic tests, such as x-ray, electrocardiogram, and laboratory test.
- Provides education to patients and their significant others, doctors, nurses, and other health care professionals to improve clinical care.
- Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, in service meetings and workshops.
- Maintains established departmental policies and procedures, objective, quality assurance programs, safety, environmental, and infection control standards.
- Graduate of PA program.
- REQUIRED LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION/REGISTRATION: Current PA license to practice in the state of Missouri and/or Illinois, as applicable by state of work location, or ability to obtain within three months of date of hire. Certain/additional certifications may be necessary based on area of specialty; Basic Life Support certification (Online BLS certifications, those without a skills assessment component, are not sufficient to meet the BLS requirements).
- A Physician Assistant who has practiced as a PA in a critical care setting for 3+ years.
- Current or recent hospital experience within the Emergency Department highly preferred.
The hiring range for this position is $78,915 - $142,084 annually.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Applicant Special Instructions
JOB LOCATION/WORKING CONDITIONS: Normal Emergency Department clinic environment, with exposure to patient elements, prolonged extensive or considerable standing/walking, lifting and moving patients, supplies and equipment with variable work schedule.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Physician Assistant - Emergency Medicine - 48896
Job ID: 48896
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time