Washington University of St. Louis Phlebotomist II (PRN) - Medical Oncology - 49214 in St. Louis, Missouri
Position works on an as needed basis.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Medicine, Division of Oncology. The position is located at Center for Advanced Medicine. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
Functions as a Phlebotomist and Patient Service Representative in the Siteman Cancer Center Lab. Requires expertise in blood drawing procedures in an outpatient laboratory environment. Serves as a liaison between all stakeholders and advocates for the patients’ needs.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs phlebotomy procedure. Identifies patient, gathers necessary supplies, verifies orders/tube labels, communicates with patient by describing steps of the procedure, cleans venipuncture site, utilizes personal protective equipment, obtains blood samples in a manner intended to limit patient discomfort and documents procedure and charge code in EPIC system.
- Verifies both written and electronic lab orders and releases orders for specimen collection. Prints tube labels and routes orders and labels to phlebotomist or RN performing sample collection. Consults with physician team, Supervisor or testing lab for clarification and verification of appropriateness of orders. Offers suggestions for alternate testing as needed.
- Greets patients upon arrival, signs patients into EPIC system to indicate their arrival, provides patient with tracking pager and communicates with patients regarding paging process and wait times. Creates appointments for walk-in patients as needed.
- Prepares and maintains sample collection stations and front desk area by monitoring and stocking medical and office supplies. Advises Supervisor/Lead immediately regarding the malfunction of equipment or supply shortages. Assures efficient and effective functioning of the area by maintaining cleanliness and order.
- Assists physician teams and research coordinators in completing research-related laboratory order forms and activities.
- Monitors insurance requirements. Notifies insurance verification department of lab tests that require precertification no later than the date of service. Assures that collected samples are routed to alternate laboratories as required by insurance.
- High School diploma or equivalent certification.
- Completion of an educational program in Phlebotomy or Medical Assistance.
- CPR certification.
- Two years of work experience in a laboratory or medical office setting.
The hiring range for this position is $14.44 to $17.70 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is not eligible to receive benefits.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Phlebotomist II (PRN) - Medical Oncology - 49214
Job ID: 49214
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: On Demand