Washington University of St. Louis Pediatrics Ambulatory Care in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Pediatrics Ambulatory Care. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
Position functions as a Medical Assistant in the department, prepares and maintains exam rooms, prepares charts, obtains reports and records; assists with patient flow and ensures the overall smooth running of the clinical office.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Patient Care Duties
- Interacts directly with patients in clinic setting and completes clinical tasks which may include obtaining vital signs, completion of EKGs, phlebotomy, and verification of medications
- Prepares for office hours by doing tasks such as obtaining charts, scheduling tests, and preparing exam rooms
- Assists with examinations, procedures, and lab tests
- Communication and Documentation
- Directs patient flow, assists with special procedures/treatments, and completes requisitions
- Routes phone messages, patient questions, and telephone communications to appropriate personnel
- Assists with care coordination by doing tasks outlined under the department guidelines such as calling patients with test results, scheduling appointments, assisting with return calls; scheduling surgeries, diagnostic procedures, and admissions; and monitoring new and return patient contacts, including scheduling of appointments and follow-up appointments
- Completes necessary paperwork and documentation in a timely manner
- If order entry in the electronic medical record is part of the job function, completes requisitions/orders per Washington University guidelines
- Equipment and Supplies
- Monitors supply inventory, ensuring adequate supplies, equipment, or garments are available and that they comply with regulations
- Cleans and stocks exam rooms and sterilizes as required
- Other Functions
- Maintains required HIPAA compliance, skills/competencies and participates in in-services, staff programs, continuing education, and cross-training programs according to established standards and Washington University policies
- Complies with OSHA, state and federal regulatory sources/standards
- Participates in quality improvement activities to ensure appropriate clinical outcomes
- Performs other duties as assigned
- High school diploma or GED; Medical Assistant certification/registration-eligible graduate or be scheduled to graduate from an accredited medical assistant program; substitutions include graduate of an accredited nursing program (such as RN/LPN).
- Must be able to show proof of Medical Assistant registration/certification or complete Medical Assistant registration/certification within 6 months of hire date or within a shorter time frame if noted by hiring manager; Basic Life Support certification (Online BLS certifications, those without a skills assessment component are not sufficient to meet the BLS requirements.).
- In addition to being registration/certification eligible, 1 year of related work experience or relevant training in medical field preferred (examples of related medical fields include military medic, emergency medical technicians, Nurse’s Aide, physical therapy and nurse technicians, and certified athletic trainers) is highly preferred; electronic medical record experience preferred
- Interactive communication skills with ability to work with physicians, patients, families, significant others, and support staff; must have strong interpersonal, organizational, and telephone skills, working knowledge of anatomy and physiology, fundamentals of medical terminology, and experience/knowledge working with electronic medical records
The hiring range for this position is $12.86 - $15.68 per hour.
Offers made for this position are contingent upon the successful completion of all required pre-employment screens, including a criminal background check, hair sample drug screen, and verification of required professional licenses, registrations, or certifications.
Retirement Savings Plan
22 vacation days
8 Paid Holidays
Tuition benefits for employee, spouse and dependent children
Free Metro Link/ Bus pass
Free Life Insurance
Health, Dental, Vision
Health Savings Accounts (HSA)
Long Term Disability Insurance
Flex Spending Plan
Med School HR website (medschoolhr.wustl.edu)
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Registered Medical Assistant I - Pediatrics Ambulatory Care - 41007
Job ID: 41007
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time