Washington University of St. Louis Ophthalmology Clinical Practice in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Ophthalmology Clinical Practice. This position is located at the Center for Outpatient Health. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
This position serves as the lead to Patient Billing / Services Representatives; plans, organizes, gives direction, and assists in aspects of the front desk/scheduling team; coordinates office functions and performs specialized/technical duties with minimal supervision; serves as a liaison between consumers (staff, patients, healthcare professionals and general public) and advocates the patients’ needs.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Monitors the performance of the staff areas to ensure quality care and compliance with practice standards
- Monitors and observes to ensure appointments are scheduled appropriately in accordance with departmental procedures to include scheduling transactions, registration review, pre-arrival processes, and HIPAA acknowledgement notification and documentation using department-approved monitoring tools
- Works with physician and/or appropriate personnel to appropriately triage patient phone calls, tasks, and e-mails as needed
- Assists in management of providers’ schedules, scheduling templates, and master schedules according to physician protocols and management direction
- Assists in coordination of training, interoffice activities, schedules, programs, distribution of policy/procedure changes, and related administrative needs; serves as primary trainer for new procedures and to new staff members in conjunction with manager
- Assists in coordination of staff vacations, schedules, and coverage
- Assists with staff timesheets and distribution of accruals
- Plans, schedules, and/or carries out orientation program and staff training/development for established and new personnel under guidance of management
- Coordinates ordering and monitoring of supplies, equipment, mail, and related operational services as needed
- Maintains required skills/competencies and participates in in-services, staff programs, continuing education, and cross-training programs according to established standards
- Complies with OSHA, state, and federal regulatory sources/standards
- Acts as backup for staff during peak times, vacations, illnesses
- Prepares custom reports as directed by management
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Participates in quality improvement activities to ensure appropriate clinical outcomes
- Incorporates the Fish Philosophy and Principles into daily job activities
- Equivalent of high school diploma with 4 to 5 years of experience in a medical office environment, or related field; knowledge of medical terminology; extensive telephone experience with demonstrated exceptional phone etiquette; experienced in a managed care setting; has experience using the IDX System; is familiar with WUSM services and programs; extensive knowledge with data entry/computer experience with an automated scheduling system
- Basic Life Support certification (Online BLS certifications, those without a skills assessment component, are not sufficient to meet the BLS requirements)
Working knowledge of general office equipment and computers; must have organization and communication skills that require discretion with confidential information; must be able to work independently, prioritize multiple tasks, have knowledge of medical terminology, handle busy phones, and capable of working in a fast-paced environment; must possess excellent communication, organization, and interpersonal skills; must have excellent knowledge of IDX scheduling system, including templates; must be able to handle stressful situations and have excellent decision-making skills
The hiring range for this position is $18.45 - $23.06 per hour.
Offers made for this position are contingent upon the successful completion of all required pre-employment screens, including a criminal background check, hair sample drug screen, and verification of required professional licenses, registrations, or certifications.
Retirement Savings Plan
22 vacation days
8 Paid Holidays
Tuition benefits for employee, spouse and dependent children
Free Metro Link/ Bus pass
Free Life Insurance
Health, Dental, Vision
Health Savings Accounts (HSA)
Long Term Disability Insurance
Flex Spending Plan
Med School HR website (medschoolhr.wustl.edu)
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Patient Billing/Services Representative III - Ophthalmology Clinical Practice - 42411
Job ID: 42411
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time