Washington University of St. Louis Medical Secretary III - Surgery - 50134 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Surgery. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
This position performs advanced secretarial duties, such as typing medical dictation requiring substantial use of medical terminology and maintains physician’s schedules
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Transcribes medical documents, such as physician’s letters, correspondence, nurse’s notes, and manuscripts; if order entry in the electronic medical record is part of the job function, completes requisitions/orders per Washington University guidelines.
- Maintains physician’s daily appointment schedule and calendar, schedules meetings, arranges conference calls, reserves catering services, makes travel arrangements, and completes travel expense reports.
- Schedules appointments and procedures for patients.
- Prepares patient charts, including delivering work-ups.
- Greets visitors, answers telephones, takes messages, and screens patient inquiries, providing information according to departmental procedures and policies.
- Serves as a liaison between patients, physicians, and staff, providing routine information to patient inquiries.
- Assists administrative/clinical staff during peak times, vacations/illnesses.
- Assists with retrieval and delivery of reports, films, etc.
- High school diploma or equivalent high school certification.
- Three years of related experience in a medical office setting.
- Two years of college or business school.
- Ability to type and use various software packages.
- Working knowledge of medical terminology.
- Effective verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated decision-making skills and ability to work independently.
- Working knowledge of general office equipment and computers (specifically Microsoft Office).
The hiring range for this position is $16.31 - $20.39 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Medical Secretary III - Surgery - 50134
Job ID: 50134
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time