Washington University of St. Louis Medical Secretary III (MA Certified) - Gastroenterology - 49459 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week. Position hours are generally typically 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., but may occasionally require adjustments due to patient emergencies or MD availability.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Internal Medicine, Divison of Gastroenterology. The position is located at Wohl Hospital. This position is for the Medical School Campus. The majority of activity will be at the Washington University Medical School. Some coverage at sites, such as Barnes Jewish West County Hospital and South County Center for Advanced Medicine, is required.
Position performs advanced secretarial duties, such as typing medical dictation requiring substantial use of medical terminology and maintaining physician’s schedules.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinates department administrative and clinical support services, such as patient calls, processing and paperwork related to prescription refills, patient appointments, radiology, GI procedures, lab test scheduling, transcription processing, manuscripts, correspondence, physician presentations, clinical data spreadsheet entries and tracking, clinical research and education program administrative assistance, patient assistance and patient disability forms. Provide phone prior authorizations for medications and other collaboration with the pre-authorization department.
- Transcribes medical documents, such as physician’s letters, correspondences, nurse’s notes, and manuscripts; if order entry in the electronic medical record is part of the job function, completes requisitions/orders per Washington University guidelines.
- Maintains physician’s daily appointment schedule and calendar, schedules meetings, arranges conference calls, reserves catering services, makes travel arrangements, and completes travel expense reports.
- Prepares patient charts, including delivering work-ups.
- Serves as a liaison between patients, physicians, and staff, providing routine information to patient inquiries.
- Assists the administrative/clinical staff during peak times, vacations/illnesses.
- Assists with the retrieval and delivery of reports, films, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent high school certification.
- Three years of related experience in a medical office setting.
- If order entry in the electronic medical record is part of the job’s function/responsibilities, registered/certified medical assistant or successfully achieve medical assistant registration/certification or pass assessment-based recognition (ABR) exam within six months of hire date (or within a shorter time frame if noted by hiring manager).
- Basic Life Support certification (Online BLS certifications, those without a skills assessment component, are not sufficient to meet the BLS requirements).
- Two years of college or business school.
- Experience with Epic.
- Ability to type and use various software packages.
- Working knowledge of medical terminology.
- Effective verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated decision-making skills and ability to work independently.
- Working knowledge of general office equipment and computers (specifically Microsoft Office).
The hiring range for this position is $16.31 - $20.39 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
The Division of Gastroenterology at the Washington University School of Medicine represents one of the finest examples of an academic training program, dedicated to the study of digestive and liver diseases. The balance of outstanding faculty, exemplary facilities, and a cohesive philosophy ensure consistent excellence across the missions of maintaining national prominence in research, teaching and patient care.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Medical Secretary III (MA Certified) - Gastroenterology - 49459
Job ID: 49459
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time