Washington University of St. Louis Medical Oncology in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Medicine, Division of Oncology. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
The primary responsibilities of this position are to answer, assess and appropriately triage incoming phone calls to the Medical Oncology Clinical Call Center. Act as liaison between patients, outside referring healthcare professionals, and the public for physicians and the oncology clinical and administrative staff. Position responds to tasks regarding scheduling and makes return patient appointments for oncology providers. Communicates and instructs patients regarding appointments and diagnostic testing dates, times and preparation.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Promptly and professionally answer incoming calls to the Medical Oncology Call Center and triage/task/page calls to the physicians’ clinical teams, new patient coordinators, and administrative staff as appropriate.
- Serve as patient advocate responding to patients’ needs and requests, forwarding any problems or complaints to the Call Center Supervisor’s immediate attention.
- Schedule, reschedule, cancel and confirm return patient appointments and diagnostic procedures in Epic as needed. Ensure that appointments are scheduled appropriately in accordance with physicians’ protocol.
- Point of initial contact with new patients referred from the Patient Care Coordination Center, internal and external physician offices to provide information regarding the oncology new patient appointment process and provide callers with the contact name and phone number of their new patient scheduler.
- Reschedule patients from cancelled clinics following Division policy.
- Fax requests for new patient medical records, pathology slides, and radiology CDs/films to outside medical facilities. Provide follow up and confirm receipt of medical records, slides and CDs/films.
- Monitor supply and prepare new patient packets for CAM, West County, South County, North County, IL and St. Peter’s satellite locations.
- Complete new patient intake sheets and document contact information; instruct outside facilities regarding medical records, demographics and insurance information required for new patients as back-up and support for new patient schedulers as necessary.
- Register patients in Epic as needed.
- Prepare patient charts and assists with Call Center workflow as required.
- Make new patient reminder calls the day prior to the scheduled appointment. Reviews instructions and answers question as needed.
- Monitor Epic MCC Scheduling InBasket and schedule appointments according to Instructions from the clinical teams.
- Monitor, sort and distribute incoming mail and faxes.
- Act as back-up support for other Call Center scheduling staff during peak times, vacations and illnesses.
High school diploma with 3 years of experience in billing systems and third-party claims and/or experience in a medical office setting or related customer service/office experience.
- Effective oral and written communication skills, telephone etiquette and customer service skills.
- Working knowledge of medical terminology and MS computer applications.
- 2 years’ experience in medical office setting preferred.
The hiring range for this position is $15.54 - $19.05 per hour.
Offers made for this position are contingent upon the successful completion of all required pre-employment screens, including a criminal background check, hair sample drug screen, and verification of required professional licenses, registrations, or certifications.
Retirement Savings Plan
22 vacation days
8 Paid Holidays
Tuition benefits for employee, spouse and dependent children
Free Metro Link/ Bus pass
Free Life Insurance
Health, Dental, Vision
Health Savings Accounts (HSA)
Long Term Disability Insurance
Flex Spending Plan
Med School HR website (medschoolhr.wustl.edu)
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Patient Billing/Services Representative II - Medical Oncology - 41500
Job ID: 41500
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time