St. Mary's Good Samaritan Medical Assistant - St.Louis Area - PRN in St. Louis, Missouri
Exceptional Patient Care: Medical Assistants create a positive patient care experience by greeting, preparing, exiting and following up with patients for providers according to established competency guidelines, policies and procedures. Patient care responsibilities are provided under the direct supervision of a physician or designated dependent provider who is given such designation in writing (i.e., collaborative practice agreement or physician assistant supervision agreement).
- Promoting infection prevention by complying with all policies for hand hygiene, environmental cleanliness and appropriate storage. Universal precautions must be understood and followed.
- Performing cleaning, disinfection and sterilization of instruments, where applicable. Competency verification for disinfection and sterilization practices will occur upon hire and no less than annually thereafter
- Accurate measurement and documentation of vital signs. Competency verification will occur upon hire and no less than annually thereafter. Accurately performing and documenting all point-of-care testing. Competency verification will occur upon hire and no less than annually thereafter.
- Dispense oral contract consistent with a physician order. Initiating physician-approved standing orders for medication prescription refills, but only for an established patient when the prescription has no changes to dosage, quantity, frequency or route. Taking verbal orders for outpatient diagnostic and therapeutic care, consistent with SSMSTL policy, and only from a supervising physician or designated dependent provider. Medical assistants may not accept verbal orders for inpatient diagnostic and therapeutic care.
- Accurately entering pended orders in the electronic health record for diagnostic and therapeutic care. Pended orders must be reviewed and signed/authorized by the ordering physician or dependent provider prior to being initiated.
- Accurately document patient information in the electronic health record, including chief compliant, reason for visit, medical, social, family history, medications, immunizations, and allergies.
- Administering medications consistent with the SSMSTL Medication Administration policy. Handling sample medications, where applicable, consistent with SSMSTL policy and procedures.
- Actively participate in all hospital/department education, training, in-services and huddles to confirm understanding of new information or changes to established clinical policies and procedures
- Respecting the rights and privacy/confidentiality of patient. Following patient safety policies and procedures.
- Address Health Maintenance and Best Practice Alerts, and notify supervising physicians/providers of such Alerts, when applicable.
This is not an application for an open position. Based on your qualifications you may be invited to complete an application for an opening in the future.*
- High School or GED plus accredited Medical Assistant education or a minimum of one year equivalent job experience.
- Knowledge of basic laboratory equipment, physician office operations and medical terminology.
- Proficient in various office products and computer programs.
- Minimum of 3 months ambulatory or physician office experience preferred, to include school externships.
Organization: SSM Health, St. Louis
Primary Location: Missouri-St. Louis-SSM Health - St. Louis
Work Locations: SSM Health - St. Louis (0130)
Job: Clinical Support & Technical Services
Req ID: 18003789