Washington University of St. Louis Manager, Coding Compliance - Neurology - 50221 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Neurology. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
The billing and compliance manager is responsible for managing all aspects of the Department of Neurology’s coding, compliance, and appeals programs. Responsibilities include oversight of check/cash posting, accounts receivable, charge entry, denials, overall day to day work, process improvement, analysis and customer service. Ensures that all targets are met and staff work is monitored and meets collections, net, gross, days in accounts receivable, and reject/edits targets. Performs more complex functions related to billing. Provides ongoing feedback, training, and coaching to staff. Approves timecards, PTO, and provides performance reviews as well as any disciplinary actions.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Review all charge review and follow up WQs for all divisions within the Department of Neurology. Investigate and problem solve reimbursement issues in collaboration with appeals team.
- Review/analyze AR and denials for trends to improve upstream processes. Includes proactively interacting with representatives of third party payers to improve communication, resolve claims processing issues and discuss changes in plan requirements.
- Prepare monthly reports to include key indicators, payer issues and unit performance. Develop process improvements within your divisions to optimize revenue.
- Assist Manager of Patient Accounts with pricing of professional and technical services for the Department of Neurology.
- Supervise compliance coordinators to ensure the following:
- Performance of regular compliance audits of documentation and coding for professional and technical services to ensure compliance with University and regulatory guidelines.
- Presentation of coding guidelines to faculty for new services being performed or when a new faculty member joins the department. Regular communication of reminders related to coding rules and of coding updates.
- Creation/presentation of annual coding and compliance class for incoming residents and fellows.
- Manage supervisory level staff and provide direction for professional development of supervisors. Manage supervision of support staff, including selection, employment, development, control and discharge of employees and assists in the establishment of personnel policies and practices.
- Keep abreast of procedures and changes affecting Medicare, Medicaid, and third party payers and/or other related health care operations. Keep manager informed of any issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
Equivalent of a bachelor’s degree in related field with 5+ years of experience in supervision preferably in coding and/or compliance.
- Developed office skills including use of variety of data systems, general office equipment, effective telephone, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience in ICD-10 and CPT Coding.
- Excellent organization skills and be able to exercise independent judgement & decision making.
- Ability to prepare written reports and correspondence.
- Flexible and able to handle multiple priorities, with the ability to adjust to high pressure and rapidly changing business conditions.
- Good working knowledge of EPIC or other electronic health records.
- Working knowledge of healthcare payer procedures and related systems and standards.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to interact with individuals at various levels.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Good organization and planning skills.
- PC software knowledge- MS Office applications.
- Healthcare experience with working knowledge of accounts receivable/healthcare revenue cycle.
The hiring range for this position is $62,067 - $79,144 annually.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Applicant Special Instructions
JOB LOCATION/WORKING CONDITIONS: Normal office environment with variable pressures, time constraints and schedule changes. Frequent short distance travel between office and affiliated institutions. Handling of confidential information.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Manager, Coding Compliance - Neurology - 50221
Job ID: 50221
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time