Washington University of St. Louis Insurance Billing/Collection Assistant II - WU Physicians Billing Services - 50201 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Washington University Physicians Billing Services at the Medical School Campus.
Performs follow-up insurance billing and makes collections calls to patients. Includes verifying accuracy and completeness of claims and contacts insurance companies in regard to expediting payments from various payers for physician’s services.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Contact patients by telephone to collect on outstanding balances. Contact patients at home or alternative phone numbers to collect payment in full, set up payment plan, settlement of account arrangements, and obtain insurance information. Communicate and educate patients on insurance plans, explain insurance payments, facilitate patient contact with insurance companies to explain benefits and/or appeal for payment. Update insurance information and all associated financial classes, and verify eligibility through all available systems (over 25 insurance websites, BJH system, online eligibility system, etc.). Transfer payments on patients’ accounts, correct contractual adjustments, and pre-screen patients for possible Financial Assistance/Charity. Skip trace to find current patient address and phone numbers for billing purposes. Update demographic information. Working knowledge on how to process special billing, work release, homeless, worker’s compensation, and risk management accounts. Attention to detail, organizing follow-up telephone calls, insurance filling, and following Self Pay policies are key factors.
- Answer in-coming calls with superior customer service skills in responding to patient needs. Demonstrate customer service skills and establish a clear understanding of the patients account and responsibility for payment. Collect payment in full, set up payment plan, settlement of account arrangements, and obtain insurance information. Communicate and educate patients on insurance plans, explain insurance payments, facilitate patient contact with insurance companies to explain benefits and/or appeal for payment. Update insurance information and all associated financial classes, and verify eligibility through all available systems (over 25 insurance websites, BJH system, online eligibility system, etc.). Transfer payments on patients’ accounts, correct contractual adjustments, prescreen patients for possible Financial Assistance/Charity.
- May fill in or and/or assist other collection unit employees and other duties as assigned. Some face to face contact with patients will be required.
High school diploma or equivalent high school certification with two to three years of related experience in a bookkeeping/accounting and/or medical collection setting.
- Excellent in customer service skills in a healthcare environment.
- Medical background in billing insurance and patient accounts.
- Demonstration of past experience in successful patient accounts receivable collections.
- Ability to set up payment arrangements, work out settlement offers and collect payment in full on outstanding patient balances.
- Working knowledge of medical billing, insurance Explanation of Benefits, payment posting and insurance plans.
- Experience and background in patient collections and/or Epic application.
- Display excellent communication skills.
- Superior goal accomplishment skills, ability to organize time, work independently and handle confidential material.
The hiring range for this position is $15.85 - $19.43 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Insurance Billing/Collection Assistant II - WU Physicians Billing Services - 50201
Job ID: 50201
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time