SSM Health Inpatient Coding Specialist in St. Louis, Missouri
Responsible for coding assigned inpatient records for reimbursement, research and compliance with federal regulations according to diagnosis, operations/procedures using the International Classifications of Diseases, most recent revision, Clinical Modification, Current Procedural Technology (CPT) classification system and hospital policy. Abstracts coded inpatient account information as well as other demographic data in hospital information system for hospital statistical and reporting requirements.
- Promotes exceptional clinical outcomes by ensuring optimal reimbursement through accurately assigning proper principle and secondary diagnostic and procedure codes according to physician documentation and official coding guidelines on all inpatient accounts. This includes, validating the assignment of the MSDRG and Severity of Illness/Risk of Mortality. Also included is assigning the appropriate discharge disposition and abstracting and entering coded data for hospital statistical and reporting requirements.
- Promotes exceptional safety and clinical outcome by applying knowledge of medical terminology/disease processes, consulting and appropriately querying physicians on questions/concerns related to physician documentation to support appropriate coding.
- Contributes to the overall safety, financial and quality outcomes by coordinating with the clinical documentation and quality teams to ensure validation of MSDRG, patient safety indicators, and hospital acquired conditions are supported by physician documentation to support appropriate coding.
- Contributes to the overall financial and quality outcomes by meeting or exceeding posted accuracy and productivity standards.
- Promotes exceptional financial performance by daily monitoring assigned work queues to ensure all records are coded in a timely matter.
- Attends and participates in departmental meetings and educations meetings in order to maintain coding knowledge and accuracy.
- Contributes to overall employee engagement by assisting other coders in performance of duties including assisting customers with questions.
- Performs all duties according to entity policies and procedures and participates in the development of the policies and procedures to improve service.
- Associate Degree or Diploma School Program
- Requires good computer and communication skills. Knowledge of anatomy, physiology and medical terminology. Understanding of coding practices and official guidelines.
- Must be an excellent communicator, able to work well with other departments. Must be able to analyze patient accounts and draw conclusions from physician documentation to determine appropriate diagnosis and procedure codes for each patient. Working knowledge of computers and information system.
- RHIT, RHIA, or CCS credentials preferred
- 1 to 3 years of Hospital Acute Care setting preferred
SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital – St. Louis –
The 525-bed SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - St. Louis is a major teaching hospital affiliated with the Saint Louis University Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology. St. Mary's Hospital - St. Louis offers a wide variety of outpatient services, including cardiovascular and open-heart surgery, high-risk obstetrics and comprehensive women's breast health services. The hospital was recognized with the 2008 and 2010 Premier Award for Quality.
Req ID: 18003268
Primary Location: Missouri-St. Louis-SSM Health St. Mary’s Hospital – St. Louis
SSM Health St. Mary’s Hospital – St. Louis (0100) 6420 Clayton Road St. Louis, 63117
Schedule Hours Per Pay Period: 63117
Weekend Rotation: Full Time, 8 Hour Day, Days
Normal work hours: Professional Services
Job: SSM Health St. Mary’s Hospital – St. Louis
Organization: SSM Health, St. Louis
Work Locations: SSM Health St. Mary’s Hospital – St. Louis (0100) 6420 Clayton Road St. Louis, 63117