Washington University of St. Louis Director, Patient Safety, Quality and Performance Improvement - Faculty Practice Plan - 49280 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Faculty Practice Plan. The position is located at the Mid Campus Center. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
Promotes a culture of patient safety throughout the faculty group practice. Interacts with faculty and staff and evaluates data to identify potential risks to patient safety. Works with WUSM Clinical Departments and teaching hospitals to implement preventive strategies for risk reduction. Works with FPP Clinical Operations and Clinical Departments to develop and implement patient safety policies and procedures for the ambulatory setting. Develops and coordinates patient safety education programs.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Enhancement of Patient Safety– Leads the development and implementation of sound patient safety standards, policies and procedures within the faculty group practice. Prospectively evaluates systemic organizational vulnerabilities within the faculty group practice and facilitates improvements in care delivery processes, as appropriate, to allow primary prevention of adverse events.
- Works with the WUSM Clinical Departments to identify relevant patient safety issues within their departments and/or across clinical departments. Helps clinical departments address these issues and implement process improvements and procedural changes as warranted.
- Tracks institutional progress toward enhancing patient safety by incorporating all department-level and interdepartmental patient safety projects into an annually updated FPP Patient Safety Report.
- Analysis of Adverse Events – Works with clinical faculty and staff, WUSM Risk Management and Office of General Counsel to conduct root cause analyses of WUSM adverse events, lawsuits and settlements to identify opportunities to prevent recurrence; works with SLCH and BJH patient safety and risk management staffs to evaluate all sentinel events and near misses.
- Promotion of Patient Safety Culture - Actively promotes a culture that makes patient safety and risk reduction a top priority throughout Washington University’s faculty group practice. Identifies strategies and tactics for keeping the importance of patient safety “top of mind” on an ongoing basis.
- Coordination of Patient Safety Education– Proactively develops, coordinates and presents ongoing patient safety education programs for all clinical faculty and support staff.
- Performance Improvement– Works with WUSM faculty, staff, and affiliated hospitals to improve healthcare processes and prevent harm. Develops scalable process improvements.
- Coordination with Hospital Safety Programs– Coordinates collaborative safety event investigations with hospital partners.
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing with a minimum of five years’ experience required.
- REQUIRED LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION/REGISTRATION: Registered Nurse (RN).
- Risk Management background and training.
- Clinical skills, knowledge of clinical care delivery models and background in physician office setting.
- Expertise in error prevention theory and practice as related to patient safety.
- Ability to use discretion and good judgment.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to manage large projects across multiple departments.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks.
- Customer focused orientation.
- Understanding of biostatistics and risk-adjustment methodologies.
The hiring range for this position is $90,688 - $120,140 annually.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Applicant Special Instructions
JOB LOCATION/WORKING CONDITIONS: Typical office setting conditions. Frequent meetings across campus.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Director, Patient Safety, Quality and Performance Improvement - Faculty Practice Plan - 49280
Job ID: 49280
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time