Washington University of St. Louis Clinical Laboratory Technologist I - Infectious Diseases - 46718 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week. Position hours are generally Monday through Friday.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
*POSITION SUMMARY: *
Position assists with routine and complex assays on clinical specimens, including but not limited to: blood, stool, urine, body fluids, and bacterial isolates. Performs both manual and automated and both culture-based and molecular methods pertinent to clinical microbiology. Position assists with documentation and preparation of materials for studies.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Under the direction of the laboratory principal investigator and in collaboration with other laboratory staff, performs routine and complex assays according to laboratory Standard Operating Procedures. Performs a variety of assays for research purposes related to diagnostic microbiology, including but not limited to: culture of clinical specimens (blood, stool, urine, body fluids, and bacterial isolates), isolation of microorganisms, microorganism identification, antimicrobial susceptibility testing, molecular methods, other types of microbial characterization.
- Participates in clinical trials/device trials, including oversight of all documentation and adherence to protocols as required by the sponsor for the study device. This includes participating in the laboratory bench work, maintaining records, shipping, and preparing reports as required.
- Performs data entry and maintains data files on research. Utilizes spreadsheet and word processing programs.
- Reviews assay data and seeks supervisory assistance with troubleshooting as appropriate.
- Participates in daily operations of the laboratory, including inventory and ordering of supplies.
- Performs basic laboratory maintenance, such as lab cleaning, washing glassware, and preparing solutions, and replenishing stock solutions as needed.
- Recognizes problem situations and participates in problem solving; informs supervisor of unusual situations and requests technical assistance.
- Ensures lab conditions and equipment are properly cleaned and maintained in accordance with established procedures.
- Complies with established safety procedures and maintains required documentation on laboratory and specimen conditions.
- Participates in relevant continuing education; mandatory participation in weekly lab meeting.
- Assists the laboratory manager with other duties and special projects as needed.
- Will also be involved in research projects in the electron microscopy lab and will be encouraged to expand and develop new skills.
Associate degree (MLT).
- MSA registry or equivalent.
- Bachelor’s degree in physical or life science and clinical laboratory experience.
- One to three years of experience in a microbiology laboratory.
The hiring range for this position is $20.83 - $26.06 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Clinical Laboratory Technologist I - Infectious Diseases - 46718
Job ID: 46718
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time