Washington University of St. Louis Certified Ophthalmic Assistant - Ophthalmology Clinical Practice - 50165 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Ophthalmology Clinical Practice. This position is for the Medical School Campus. Some travel between clinics is required.
Provides advanced administrative and technical support to an ophthalmologist in a clinical setting. Gathers important medical information and performs visual screening prior to Ophthalmologist’s visit with the patient.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Must be able to perform all duties of the ophthalmic assistant in addition to the duties listed below:
- Performs wide range of diagnostic testing including but not limited to: visual fields, tonometry, biometry, visual evoked potentials, fundus photos, and endothelial photos.
- Performs a comprehensive clinical work up of patients, including a detailed patient history.
- Helps assist patients via the telephone.
- Educates patients on physician’s diagnosis and instructions.
- Assists physicians with minor surgery procedures.
- Maintains CPR certification.
- Helps foster our service culture of positivity and inclusion by maintaining a positive attitude with co-workers and excellent customer service..
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent high school certification.
- Completion of the AAO Home study course.
- One year of supervised ophthalmologic office experience.
- Certified Ophthalmic Assistant (COA).
- Experience in a clinical environment.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office software.
- Previous experience working with the public.
- Extensive knowledge of the anatomy and physiology of the eye, medical terminology and abbreviations.
- Excellent communication and patient care skills.
- Able to express a caring attitude while performing tasks required with accuracy and efficiency.
- Ability to maintain patient information in a strict confidential manner.
The hiring range for this position is $17.58 - $21.98 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Certified Ophthalmic Assistant - Ophthalmology Clinical Practice - 50165
Job ID: 50165
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time