St. Mary's Good Samaritan Laboratory Assistant in Mexico, Missouri
The Laboratory Assistant is responsible for customer service and for performing venipuncture, fingersticks, heelsticks, etc. in order to obtain blood specimens for laboratory testing. They are also responsible for answering the phone, filing patient results, registering patients, ordering test, logging specimens and other clerical functions as needed. He/she is responsible for processing all laboratory specimens and distributing to the appropriate area.
- Performs venipuncture; obtain, receive, label and deliver blood samples to the laboratory work areas.
- Performs finger stick and heel stick collections on neonates and small children.
- Performs laboratory tests such as bleeding and coagulation times, qualitative urinalysis, administration of glucose tolerance test solution, and microbiology set-ups.
- Relieves other lab assistants and receptionists as needed, including secretarial duties such as filing lab reports and answering the telephone.
- Coordinates and performs paternity test collections.
- Obtains urine drug screen collections following Federal and client guidelines.
- Centrifuges laboratory specimens, transfer serum to labeled container, complete report forms and send entire package to a reference laboratory.
- Answers phone, providing exceptional customer service to staff and patients, acting as resource for laboratory testing requirements.
- Keeps centrifuges clean. Periodically clean work areas. Cleans glassware as needed.
- Replaces and maintains an adequate level of blood collecting supplies.
- Assists in training new lab assistants.
- Require high school diploma or equivalent. Require specific courses in Business, English and Math
- Prefer one year previous experience in hospital environment.
*SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital – Audrain *
SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - Audrain opened in 1918 as Audrain Medical Center. Today, the 89-bed community hospital offers a range of services including emergency
care, cardiology services, medical imaging, men's health services, women and child services, and diabetes education. The hospital features the J.B. & Greta B. Arthur Cancer Center, the Jordan-Waters Heart Center and Healthworks Rehabilitation services.
Organization: SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - Audrain
Primary Location: Missouri-Mexico-SSM Health St. Mary’s Hospital – Audrain
Work Locations: SSM Health St. Mary’s Hospital – Audrain (0025) 620 E. Monroe St. Mexico, 65265
Job: Clinical Support & Technical Services
Req ID: 18010836