Turner Construction Company Safety Intern - MINK (MO, IA, NE, KS) in Kansas City, Missouri
Position Description: The purpose of the internship is to provide the student with supervised practice at the work site and in the continuing daily work of the safety professional. Interns will assist the Project Safety Manager, Superintendent, PM, PX and BU Environmental Health & Safety Director in adhering to company safety and loss control policies. Works on construction projects or in the office to assist in the day-to-day activities associated with safety and loss control. The Safety Intern shall be supervised by a manager of safety.
Reports To: Various reporting, including Project Safety Manager or similar position
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Assist in implementation of Building L.I.F.E. and the project safety program under the direction of the Project Safety Manager or Superintendent.
• Assist Project Superintendent and BU Environmental Health & Safety Director in identifying and reporting any violation or unsafe practice where there is imminent danger to life or property.
• Assist in coordination of safety duties in such areas as safety committees, preplanning meetings and tool box meetings.
• Participate in training at safety meetings, tool box meetings and orientations.
• Assist in review of subcontractor safety programs for completeness and compliance with Turner’s policies.
• Assist in promoting safe work practices and safe working conditions in accordance with all Federal, State and Local regulations and owner/contractual requirements.
• Participate in administration of a drug screening program (pre-employment, post-accident random and cause) that is consistent with Turner’s or Owner’s requirements.
• Assist Project Safety Manager and Superintendent in preconstruction meetings and conducting research as needed. Document those meetings under direction of supervision.
• Assist in conducting jobsite and work area inspections with the Project Safety Manager or Superintendent. Review with Superintendent for distribution to subcontractors and Business Unit Safety Director.
• Assist in maintaining safety records, including pre-task plans, Job Hazard Analyses, training records, tool box meetings, maintenance of the OSHA 300 log, maintenance of the MSDS and chemical inventory sheets, incident investigations and metrics.
• Assist in conducting effective worker orientation program for every new employee and administer and record their participation.