St. Mary's Good Samaritan Patient Care Technician in Jefferson City, Missouri
The Patient Care Technician is responsible for provision of patient care activities and related non-clinical activities necessary for care of patients and maintenance of nursing units. These duties are performed under the direction of a Registered Nurse or Physician. Duties would include, but not be limited to, personal care, venipuncture, and finger-sticks in order to obtain lab specimens, taking vital signs and documenting. The clerical associate performs clerical/computer duties including physician order transcription, answering telephone and call lights, reception duties, requisitioning, supplies, equipment and services required. The person cross-trained into both of these positions would be capable of performing any of the functions of either of the positions as required.
- Age Specific Criteria: Demonstrates and maintains knowledge and skills necessary to care for the patient group of: 1. Infant, 2. Pediatric, 3. Adolescent, 4. Adult, 5. Geriatric
- Assists or provides patients with personal hygiene, comfort measures, (i.e., oral care, shaving, daily linen changes) while maintaining patient privacy at all times.
- Reports observations regarding patient’s needs/condition to the professional nurse including signs of neglect and abuse; gives report when leaving unit.
- Assists physician or nurses with tests, procedures, or treatments as required. Prioritizing tasks as needed.
- Performs finger sticks (bedside glucose testing) according to protocol. Able to identify abnormal parameters that need to be reported to the nurse.
- Able to identify what needs to be done with minimal direction from nursing staff and takes initiative to see that these things get done.
- Accurately transcribes and processes physician orders: 1. Medications; 2. Diagnostic testing; 3. Laboratory testing.
- Prioritizes tasks.
- Transcribes STAT orders within 30 minutes of being written.
- Copies charts for nursing home transfers, including all required forms.
- Assures confidentiality of all patient records.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Current Missouri CNA license or have completed Fundamentals of Nursing or EMT.
- 2 years of experience in direct patient care required; background in medical field which can be applied.
- Ability to lift and ambulate patient. Willingness and ability to complete patient care tech course and orientation. Ability and willing to rotate shifts and adjust to schedule changes. Ability to work under emotional and physical stress. High level of interpersonal/communication skills in order to relate effectively to physicians, health center staff, clients, patients and their families.
SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital – Jefferson City –
SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - Jefferson City is a 167-bed, full-service community hospital located in Missouri's state capital. The hospital moved to a new, state-of-the-art building in November 2014. The hospital features a dedicated inpatient pediatric unit, a Wound Center and Outpatient Treatment Center. Other services offered at the hospital include emergency services, cardiology, orthopedic care, cancer care, outpatient surgical services, maternity care and women's health.
Organization: SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital – Jefferson City
Primary Location: Missouri-Jefferson City-SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - Jefferson City
Work Locations: SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - Jefferson City (0011) 2505 Mission Drive Jefferson City, 65109
Job: Clinical Support & Technical Services
Req ID: 18016973