BluePearl Veterinary Technician -Oncology in Chesterfield, Missouri
*Midwest Veterinary Referral Center (a BluePearl Veterinary Partner) in Chesterfield MO has an immediate need for an experienced Oncology Techncian. This is a full time position in a well-established Oncology department. Must have experience with high volume patient care, attention to detail, knowledge of drug calculation, drug-to-drug interference, accurate IV catheter placement skills, digital radiograph positioning and patient restraint. Make a difference every day in the life of your patients and their owners. Support for VTS certification is also available through our BluePearl network! The schedule for this position is Mon-Fri. May be required to participate in a rotating on-call schedule once training is completed.*
*Medical Oncology– Specific Skills*
Monitor patient who is receiving a chemotherapy infusion under supervision of veterinary technician level 3 or higher
Ability to set up appropriate materials for short and long chemotherapy administration
Ability to safely dispense and administer oral chemotherapy agents
Ability to safely dispense, reconstitute and administered SQ/IM chemotherapy agents
Knowledge of chemotherapy extravasation and what to do if it happens
Ability to check chemotherapy agent calculations and dosages
Ability to properly wrap and shave for an IV catheter for chemotherapy infusion
*General Technician Skills*
It is recognized that some skills may not be performed at all hospitals. The veterinary technician is expected to complete skills in accordance with the hospital’s policies.
• Maintains proficiency at Veterinary Tech Level 1 clinical skills and competencies.
• Compassionately, calmly and gently approaches and handles patients.
• Approaches and handles patients according to safety protocols and core values.
• Interprets and completes in-patient and out-patient work up requests by veterinarian with in their skill set.
• Able to appropriately utilize cold sterilization.
• Ability to clean, appropriately wrap, and sterilize instruments.
• Ability to identify instruments and their use sequence in:
• Ability to set up for routine procedures
• Induce, monitor and recover anesthesia in patients assigned ASA II & III classification.
• Accurately and completely prepare and maintain anesthetic monitoring forms.
• Able to obtain and interpret blood pressure and alert veterinarian to changes and issues.
• Appropriately use external warming devices (hot air blankets, warming cages, fluid warms, etc.)
• Set up constant rate infusions (CRI).
• Able to place peripheral over-the-needle catheter in all peripheral vessels.
• Appropriately restrain aggressive canine and feline patients.
• Recognition abnormal heart and lung sounds.
• Ability to maintain all feeding tubes
• Accurately calculates all medical math including advanced and CRI (mcg/mg, %/mg, etc).
• Recognizes patients at risk for arrest and initiates CPR according to R.E.C.O.V.E.R guidelines.
• Oversees and guides technician level I with clinical tasks.
• Able to perform, interpret and alert veterinarian to changes and issues with blood pressure.
• Ability to use and maintain all feeding tubes.
• Additional job duties as assigned.
• Current certification/license in veterinary technology.
• Mastery of Veterinary Assistant Level II competencies and maintains proficiency.
• Experience working in a veterinary practice preferred.
• High School graduate.
• Strong interpersonal skills: able to communicate effectively with clients, doctors, management, hospital personnel, tenant specialists, consulting professionals and clients.
• Strong organizational/time management skills: able to set, prioritize and attain goals with attention to detail.
• Strong professional development skills: able to complete continue education in the field of veterinary medicine concurrently with job description.
• Strong sense of integrity: able to maintain highest ethical standards, personal responsibility and accountability and confidentiality of clients, doctors, and all staff.
• Strong analytical thinking skills: ability to use objective data to solve problems/create solutions.
• Follows and upholds the veterinary technology profession’s ethical codes.
• Adhere to and lead by the Five Principles.
SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS
• Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well as manipulate (lift, carry, and move) up to 50 pounds. Lifting higher weights requires requesting assistance from another associate.
• Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm-hand-finger dexterity with the ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard and operate necessary equipment.
• Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form and to solve problems involving several variables.
• Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision.
• Occasionally exposed to airborne particles and illness from patients and chemicals related to animal care and office equipment.
• The noise level in the work environment is normally moderate.
• Environment where pets are present.
• The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Who are we? BluePearl Veterinary Partners grew from the dreams of numerous veterinarians who believed pets should have access to high quality, cutting edge healthcare.
We are seeking hospital support with the same philosophy who are looking to grow their career in an exciting environment with a family atmosphere!
Your success is our success! At BluePearl, the continued education of our techs is paramount. Not only do our techs get to work in state of the art facilities with the best veterinary teams in the nation, but they also have access 90% paid scholarships with Penn Foster and CE allowances. We also go even further to hold monthly CE meetings, associate feedback sessions, and opportunities for mentorship and cross-training .
Additional Benefits: BluePearl offers health benefits options, competitive compensation, flexible hours, scrub allowance, opportunity to bring your dog to work, additional training, and unlimited growth potential!
Why our Chesterfield location? Midwest Veterinary Referral Center, a BluePearl Veterinary Partners hospital, is located in the western suburbs of St. Louis, MO. MVRC provides compassionate, advanced veterinary specialty and emergency care to the greater metropolitan St. Louis area. Built in 2008, our building is approximately 14,000 square feet and has three extensively equipped surgery suites, an intensive care unit with highly trained staff and 24-hour emergency service.
Our hospital is equipped with digital radiography, ultrasound, endoscopy, comprehensive patient monitoring systems and a complete in-house integrated laboratory. In addition, there is a large regional commercial laboratory in our building. We have an in-house CT scanner, C-arm with fluoroscopy capabilities and MRI availability nearby. Services offered include critical care, internal medicine, oncology, ophthalmology, surgery, and emergency. Our doctors, many of whom are board-certified, work as a highly communicative team and pride themselves on providing remarkable patient care along with unparalleled customer service for the client and referring veterinarian.
Chesterfield is a great place to live and work! It is a peaceful residential enclave located just 25 minutes from downtown St. Louis. There are plenty of shopping areas, businesses, arts and culture outlets and a variety of public parks and trails for biking, walking and running. St. Louis boasts nationally ranked schools, universities and hospitals. Come experience our genuine Midwestern hospitality and charm while practicing at the highest level with a collaborative and dedicated team of professionals. Want to learn more about the great city of St. Louis?
Learn more about St. Louis here at https://bluepearlvet.com/careers/why-st-louis/
Learn more about St. Louis Hospital here at https://bluepearlvet.com/chesterfield-mo/
Like us on Facebook to learn about BluePearl events and career opportunities! at https://www.facebook.com/BluePearlJobs/
BluePearl is committed to a diverse work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, creed, sex, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, sexual orientation or affectional preference, or gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Workplace.
Job Category: Technicians
Requisition Number: VETER07691
Location: Chesterfield, MO, USA